If you have a question relating to selling a horse via the Race
Horse Trader website, please see our Sellers:
Frequently Asked Questions
6. How do I pay for a horse
that is advertised on Race Horse Trader?
7. I'm the winning bidder in an auction, how do I pay for the horse?
8. Does it cost anything to buy a horse from the Race Horse Trader website?
You can choose to buy a horse outright via our online auction or horses for sale section, or you can browse shares available in the Syndicates and Shares section. Horses for sale outright either via auction or at a set price are searchable in the following categories:
Sometimes a horse may be listed in more than one category, if appropriate.
You can browse by category or search for a horse according to specific criteria such as sire/dam or price. You may also simply browse all listings in chronological order.
The first horses offered for online auction will be available to browse from Wednesday 9th September 2020.
All adverts have a messaging facility underneath the description which can be used to send a message to the vendor of the horse. All incoming messages are monitored by Race Horse Trader.
Phone numbers are available for the vendors of all horses offered for sale or syndication. Just click the 'View seller's telephone number' button underneath the description.
Details of vendors of horses offered for auction (identifiable by the [gavel] icon) are available only to users who are registered and logged in to the Race Horse Trader website.
You will only be required to create a buyer account if you wish
to contact the vendor of a horse listed for auction, or if you wish
to place a bid on a horse.
Before you can actively participate in the bidding for each of our fortnightly online auctions you must Register to Bid. If this is your first time buying a horse via the Race Horse Trader online auction will first need to create a Buyer Account before following the below steps to Register To Bid.
- Login to your Buyer Account
- Go to the Lot that you are interested in bidding on and click the red button 'Register To Bid' in the bidding panel
- You will then be asked to confirm your billing information for the purposes of confirming your identity. Please ensure all details are completed accurately and in full, including the card type which must be selected from the drop-down menu next to the card number.
- Read and confirm that you comply with our Terms and Conditions, including our Commissions, Premiums and Fees (Clause 15).
- Your details will then be submitted for a security check with a pending transaction of 10p processed against your card to verify the details you have supplied are correct. NO PAYMENT WILL BE TAKEN FROM YOUR CARD. Please do not close the browser window or click away from the screen whilst this check is being completed by your bank, you may be asked to verify that you have asked for the test transaction to be applied against your card by going into a banking app or confirming via text message.
- Once the check has been completed you will then be able to bid on any horse offered in the current auction.
Please note that you will need to reconfirm your card details for each new auction that you wish to participate in, this is to ensure your details have not changed between auctions.
Your card details, along with your address, are used to check your identity for security purposes. A pending charge for 10p will be processed against your card. This may appear on your bank statement for a short while, however, no money will be debited from your account.
The transaction is processed securely through Sage Pay using 3D secure technology, and your card details are not stored or accessible by Race Horse Trader.
The security check provides protection for both vendors and buyers, ensuring that only bona-fide bids are accepted and that auctions are not disrupted by bogus bidding activity.
An email confirmation will be sent to you to confirm successful authorisation of your card. Once you have received this email you will be cleared to place a bid on your chosen lot.
You will need to complete the card security check for every new auction that you wish to participate in.
To pay for a horse, or shares in a horse, you must contact the vendor direct using the messaging facility or via telephone to agree an amount and payment method. To pay for a horse that you have won at auction please see the next question.
Once bidding has closed you will be sent an email confirmation to confirm you are the winning bidder. Within 12 hours you will be sent an invoice for the hammer price, buyers' premium (5%) and for any VAT that is due. This can be paid immediately online using your registered credit/debit card, or you may arrange a bank transfer. Full payment for the lot must be received within two clear working days of the auction closing, otherwise the lot may be offered to the underbidder. You will not be able to arrange collection/delivery of the horse until full payment is received.
A Buyers' Premium of 5% applies to all lots purchased via auction on the Race Horse Trader website.
No Buyers' Premium applies for horses, or shares in horses, not offered for auction.